Whether you want to start an indoor vertical farm or you just want some sort of indoor vertical garden system for growing beautiful plants to improve the atmosphere of your house, I am going to show some ideas below and I’m sure you will find something suitable or at least find some inspiration.
There are many different systems that can be used for growing plants indoors and a vertical garden is a great idea because it enables you to grow more plants in a limited space you may have indoors.
Spoiler alert my favorite on the list below is the hanging window shelf because it gives you room to grow a vertical garden and also takes advantage of what light you can get in your house.
Some benefits of vertical indoor gardening are:
- Improve air quality indoors
- Make an indoor space look better
- Grow fresh herbs all year
- You are in control of the environment
Read on and find out about some great ideas you could use to create your very own indoor vertical gardening system.
Some of the links on this page will be affiliate links that take you over to Amazon (paid link), as an Amazon Associate this site earns from qualifying purchases.
Indoor Vertical Gardens With Lights
The main problem people come up against when gardening indoors is how to get enough light for your plants.
The easiest and most hassle-free way for you to do this is to have a planter system that has lights on it. This means you will have no worries even during the winter time and you will have total control over how much light your plants receive.
Check out these 5 ideas for indoor gardens with lights below.
Vertical Freestanding Garden Planter With Lights
This is a complete indoor gardening system it consists of four individual planters that are stacked on top of each other, a self-watering mechanism so you only have to fill it up with water once per week, grow lights for every planter and a plastic cover that makes it like a greenhouse.
It is very hard to go wrong when using this system because it supplies all your plants with the water it requires and with all the light that is required.
If you are new to indoor vertical gardening and are looking for a complete system I would say this is the best option you can find.
- Simple set up the most difficult part is getting it out of the box.
- An ideal system for people who forget to water plants and it will save you valuable space.
- This will make it easier to keep plants alive and be successful at growing.
- Encourages healthy living when you grow your own healthy crop.
Indoor Vertical Garden With Lights
The watering system is an automatic self drip system which means you only have to fill it up approximately once per week and it will slowly drip to feed your plants.
The light system provides light in the ideal frequency to promote rapid plant growth and it is on a timer so that it will go on and off at regular intervals to help you successfully grow plants.
This system has sections for 8 different plants so it’s possible to grow 8 varieties of plants or 8 of the same plants with this system.
- A brilliant vertical garden that will make any room look better if you grow flowers.
- Can be used to successfully grow herbs for your kitchen.
- Lights will help keep your plants alive even in low light situations.
- Drip watering system means you only need to fill it with water once per week.
24 Inch High Indoor Garden With Lights
This system not only has lights, but it’ll also water your plants with its self-watering system and it is fully Wi-Fi compatible so you can turn the lights on and off from your phone.
You can buy Special seed pods for the Aerogarden or use grow anything seed pods that you simply put your own seeds in and this system will make it simple for you to grow them.
- This indoor garden system works incredibly for tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Large enough to grow a decent crop for your homegrown salads.
- Works better with treated water that is included in the pack.
- Automatically reminds you when to add water and nutrients.
- This is an indoor garden growing machine.
3 Tier Grow Light Shelves
This is a truly amazing indoor vertical garden with lights It is large enough that you can grow a decent amount of plants on the shelves it totals 18 feet of growing space. There are three shelves and three adjustable lights so that you are always in control of how much light your plants receive.
This is a complete system so you are supplied with energy saving fluorescent light bulbs and the trays that are provided for putting your plants in are completely waterproof so there should be no issues with leakage.
The fact it has wheels on the bottom of the shelf system is an added and very useful convenience as it means you can move your shelves around depending on what season it is.
- Very well built grow light shelf system and it is simple to assemble.
- Can be used for starting seeds before you transfer them outside for spring time.
- Very reasonable price for a large indoor growing shelf system.
- Completely adjustable lighting system so you can get maximum growth.
- Wheels make it a completely portable and mobile grow stand.
2 Tier Grow Light Shelves
This shelf has integrated fixtures so that you can easily slide the lights up and down so that your plants get the maximum light exposure. Everything you need is included in this package so you’ll also get the grow lights that you will need to successfully grow plants indoors.
Whether you want to grow flowers indoors or just start seedlings before transferring them this is an excellent product to do so.
- Very easy to assemble grow shelf and delivered very promptly.
- Looks good in an office environment and makes it more calming which can be good for business.
- This grow shelf works excellent for growing anything from orchards to violets.
Indoor Vertical Living Wall Systems
If you want to have an indoor living wall and your house then there are several very good hanging planters that make it very simple to achieve.
There is everything from small plant pots that you can attach to your wall to large living wall planters that are designed for growing indoors.
Read on and I’ll show you a variety of good options…
Wall Hanging Glass Planters
When you order these glass terrariums you will be happy to see they are securely wrapped in foam so they will arrive in one piece with no damage. There is a small attachment and a white nail is supplied so it is simple enough to attach these to your wall without the danger of damaging the glass.
These glass hanging wall planters will improve whichever room you choose to put them in and they will be like a piece of living art hanging on your wall.
- The glass is the perfect thickness so it is sturdy enough whilst not being heavy and cumbersome.
- Ideal for growing herbs and you don’t have to use up counter space in your kitchen.
- Very simple to install using the kit provided.
- Very cute planters and they look even cuter in real life compared to the pictures.
5 Pocket Horizontal Waterproof Planter
The fact that this is made out of recycled plastic materials means it will last longer than most other fabrics and the plastic makes this planter have more strength than similar products.
This planter is perfect if you want a living wall and your home office or place of work and to the provided detachment make it very simple to install. These can be easily hung together either vertically or horizontally to create a stunning living wall effect.
- This is a waterproof fabric product so you should have no problems with water leaking out and ruining your wall.
- Easy to install using the grommets provided and they mean it’s unlikely to fall down when you install in and fill it with weight.
- The stitching may not be the highest quality but it can easily be fixed with a needle and thread.
- Excellent value for money.
Indoor Hanging Plant Terrarium
Whilst there are many indoor vertical garden systems on the market, using glass terrariums is one of the simplest and most effective ways to achieve this.
When you buy these terrariums there are hooks included for attaching it to a wall but it would also look good if you hang them on a piece of rope. Plants are not supplied with this item so you will have to source your own plants for putting in them.
- Will arrive well wrapped in styrofoam so they will arrive in good condition even though they are made of glass and posted via the mail.
- Ideal hanging planters to propagate new plants in.
- Beautiful planters that will improve the look of any wall you hang them on.
- Very durable so even if you drop them on the floor they should be ok even though they are made of glass.
Indoor Vertical Living Wall Planter
This fabric indoor vertical living wall planter is another one of the best varieties of fabric living walls on the market because it is made of recycled plastic which means it is waterproof and there will be no water damage to the wall you hang it on.
This fabric wall planter is 3 pockets wide and 4 pockets long so you can fit 12 plants in it, it is designed so that you can hang multiples of them together which would give you a full living wall design at a very affordable price.
- The fabric pockets are nice and deep which means its suitable for a wide range of plants.
- Designed for indoor use as the waterproof back means it should not stain your walls.
- Built in drip tray but be careful not to overwater it as the built in tray may overflow and cause a mess.
Grovert Living Wall Planter With Picture Frame Kit
It is designed so that you can water it while it is hanging on the wall, simply pour the water in via the hole on the top of it and remove any excess water via the hole in the bottom.
This wall planter picture frame kit has 10 holes in it so you could grow 10 plants.
If you want a full living wall it would be simple enough to purchase a number of these and hang them all together.
- When you hang this planter it is just like having a beautiful picture frame hanging on your wall.
- If you water it in the holes that are provided you will have no water leaking out.
- A beautiful planter that will improve the look of any room and you are guaranteed to receive compliments from this conversation starter.
Waterproof Vertical Hanging Indoor Planter
It is designed to be completely waterproof as it is made out of a recycled plastic material which has the bonus of giving it added strength compared to other fabrics.
This planter would be ideal for hanging on walls or balconies or it would brighten up any office space.
If you want the living wall style you could hang up a number of these wall planters in a row to achieve the desired look.
- This is a truly waterproof product so you should have no worries about it ruining the wall you hang it on.
- The pockets are quite small so you should check the size dimensions before you purchase it.
- It may be an idea to put plants that need more water at the bottom and plants that can survive in the desert at the top as the top will dry out quicker.
Self Watering Indoor Vertical Planters
What’s not to like about an indoor vertical garden system that waters itself?
I really like these systems because it is one less thing you have to worry about every day, you simply fill up the reservoir on these systems and the water should last for up to 2 weeks per fill, depending on your local climate.
If I had my way every single planter on the planet would be self-watering because it is just so much easier and convenient.
This is a quality self-watering planter, it is perfectly suited for use as a window box and you could easily attach it to a balcony or the inside/ outside of a window sill.
These planters can be easily attached together either vertically or horizontally so you could start with one planter and grow your system when you see how totally amazing it is.
Available in cream or lime, if you buy this self-watering planter system it will definitely improve whichever room you decide to put it in as who doesn’t love fresh fruit, herbs, greens or even flowers growing indoors.
- Comes it two different colors so you can choose a color that will truly improve the look of the room you put it in.
- The company provides excellent customer service and will send out a new product if you have any problems with delivery.
- A versatile planter that can hang in a variety of positions and still grow healthy plants.
- Could be an idea to hang this planter in the shower.
Self Watering Living Wall Planter For Indoors
This planter is designed so that you can stack them on top of each other or else attach them to a wall easy enough.
If you want to go for a true indoor living wall look, these planters would be ideal if you buy multiple packs of them, there is a discount code for in the description if you wish to do so.
- This self-watering planter will look good in any room you put it in.
- Really good build quality so it should last for a very long time.
- This is a perfect planter for using as a herb garden for your kitchen.
- This planter is pretty small so you should check the size dimensions to avoid disappointment.
Wall Planter That Waters Itself
You could use them lying flat on your windowsill or you can attach them to a wall to make it like a living wall. It is a very solid design and it should last a long time compared to living walls that are made out of fabric.
When you use a planter in your home not only does it improve the look of a room it will also improve the air quality in that room as plants growing filter the air so it’s a win-win idea.
- Quality self watering planter so why not fill your wall with multiple units.
- Very solid product and the plastic seems very durable and long lasting.
- This planter is suitable for hanging outdoors or in your home.
- If you are looking for a top quality self watering planter this may be the best option.
Self Watering Living Wall
It is really simple to install, more simple than you might imagine, simply attach the screws to a wall and hang it like a painting.
The self-watering feature means that you only need to water this will approximately every two weeks depending on your local climate, when you water this system water gets stored in a reservoir and slowly drips out.
This planter is suitable for a wide variety of plants from herbs and succulents to flowers and houseplants it is a very good planter.
- Maybe not suitable for plants that require deep planting but perfect for succulents.
- Check how many pots you have ordered to avoid disappointment.
- These planters will improve the look of any room or area you put them in.
- Why not buy multiple planters and cover a full wall.
Self Watering Indoor Wall Planter
This self-watering wall planter has been designed so that when you fill the water reservoir up it will slowly feed your plants as needed, this means you’ll never have to worry about over watering or under watering your plants again.
This planter is an absolutely brilliant design as it is designed with a built-in drip tray so you don’t have to worry about getting spillage on a wall.
Specifically designed for growing herbs, vegetables, and other edibles this wall planter is ideal for use in your kitchen and it is designed so that they can be attached together or you can have a row of them.
- This planter may be better for larger plants that are not so susceptible to root rot.
- Good looking design that will make any room look better and that’s before you even add plants to it!
- When attached to a wall it is very secure even when it is full of plants and filled up with water.
- You should check the size dimensions of this product before you buy it.
Indoor Garden Shelf Systems
The most basic way to have a vertical garden in your house is to simply use a shelving system that enables you to grow many more plants in the space you have.
These systems are ideal if you have a conservatory or a house that has lots of light shining in, check out these shelves that are ideal for gardening indoors. You could also attach a grow light to increase the amount of light your plants get.
Indoor Shelf Greenhouse
The structure and shelves are powder coated so they should last a very long time, the shelves are a grid structure which will help the air circulate around this greenhouse shelving system.
The fact this shelving system is enclosed by plastic helps keep moisture and humidity inside which is always good when you are growing plants indoors.
Well-spaced shelves mean the system is capable of housing moderate-sized plants and it can be used for germination and starting seedlings no problem.
- A very good shelving system for plants at a very affordable price.
- Works well for growing herbs or alpine strawberries, especially if you attach a grow light to the inside of it.
- Greenhouse works well for indoor gardening but it might blow away if you use it outside.
- It may be a good idea to use a small fan to improve air circulation during the hot months.
- Temperature can be up to 20F hotter inside the greenhouse so it really does work.
Hanging Window Shelf For Plants
When you use this hanging window shelf it means you can have up to 12 plants growing in your window rather than just having two or three sat on the window sill.
This is an excellent solution for people who live in an apartment or flat and want to add some plants to improve the atmosphere of their home.
The shelves are made out of clear acrylic which means it still lets as much light as possible into your house and doesn’t restrict Your View as much as solid shelves would.
- An excellent grow shelf for growing herbs in your kitchen and it will become the focal point of any room.
- It is possible to attach this shelf to a roof if you don’t have any suitable windows.
- Very easy to install grow shelf and it comes with a very clear set of installation instructions.
- Very well built and sturdy shelf and it is easy to adjust the spacing between the shelves.
Indoor/ Outdoor Plant Display Shelf
The frame of this shelving system is made out of stainless steel and it is powder coated so it should be incredibly strong and last you a very long time.
The black color of the frame means that compliments dark plant pots and many of the plants that you could grow in it.
This is a versatile shelf and it could be used for a number of other purposes apart from growing plants such as keeping shoes in or using it as a towel holder.
- Shelving can hold up to 16 plants and works especially well for medium sized plants.
- Lightweight design means it is very easy to move the unit outdoors for the summer and indoors for the winter.
- Very easy to assemble plant stand and it can be set up in 10 minutes.
- This is a quality product compared to other comparable plant shelving.
Basic 5 Shelf Unit
The shelves are not solid so they would allow good circulation of air and the distance between the shelves is adjustable in 1-inch increments so you could fit whatever size plants you want on them and adjust them as they grow.
These shelves are made out of Steel, they are a very solid construction and they have a chrome finish so they should last a long time.
If you are looking for a large plant stand for using indoors sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.
- Very simple to assemble shelf unit and you don’t even need any tools.
- Excellent shelf if you live in a small apartment and need extra surface area storage.
- These shelves are very well built and can hold a lot of weight.
- Basic shelf system but it is well built and an affordable option.
4 Tier Stand For Plants
The pads that are attached to the bottom mean it won’t damage any carpet that you put it on.
It is a very sturdy metal design and it is powder coated which means it won’t rust and it will be scratch-resistant.
This stand is lightweight so it is easy enough if you want to move it outdoors for the summer and indoors for the winter.
- Very easy to assemble plant stand that can be assembled in under 10 minutes.
- Provides a decent amount of growing area, perfect for starting seedlings before moving them outside.
- You should check the size dimensions before you purchase it as it may be smaller than you expect.
- Apart from growing plants on the dimensions make it perfect for use as a shoe stand.
I hope you have enjoyed this article and if you haven’t found what you are looking for I hope you at least found some inspiration. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.