Starting a bonsai hobby is always a great idea and there are many options for bonsai trees that are suitable for beginners but why not just buy one of the best bonsai starter kits for beginners?
A starter kit will supply you with everything you need to start a bonsai hobby or would make a great gift for someone you think might be interested in bonsai.
If you look after your bonsai correctly it could live for hundreds of years, you won’t see it that long, but, just think if you start a bonsai tree you could end up leaving it as part of your inheritance you leave behind and many generations of your family could enjoy your bonsai after you are gone.
A bonsai can be placed on a windowsill and will do just fine, especially if it’s a south facing window.
You can also position your bonsai as an ornamental piece in a bright room and it will start many a great conversation with your guests.
Below I am going to list 4 of the best bonsai starter kits for beginners and some other products that will help you or someone you gift a bonsai to be successful in a new bonsai hobby.
(There are affiliate links in this blog post, and if you click any of the affiliate links and buy the products, I’ll earn a commission. However, this will never affect the price you pay.)
Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai Tree Complete Starter Kit
It’s a great choice because it is such a low maintenance bonsai that doesn’t take excessive care to make it grow healthy and strong.
You don’t need to have any sort of specialist setup or even a place you think would be a prime position for placing a little tree, this bonsai will do well in low light conditions and areas with low humidity.
The more light you are able to get this bonsai the faster it will grow and that isn’t always a great thing for a bonsai you are trying to keep it small and bonsai.
The Hawaiian umbrella bonsai tree is originally native to Australia but can now be found in most of southeast Asia, in the wild this bonsai tree is basically a little evergreen shrub.
This is an incredibly hardy bonsai tree which is one of the reasons it is a great choice for beginners but you do have to make sure you don’t expose it to temperatures that are near 50 degrees Fahrenheit or below or it may be the end of this bonsai.
- A very hardy bonsai tree
- Can do well in low light conditions
- Native to Australia
- Incredibly low maintenance bonsai
Willow Leaf Ficus Bonsai Tree Complete Starter Kit
Due to the area this bonsai is native to it is a tropical bonsai tree so if you can recreate those conditions or live somewhere with a tropical climate you will have no worries growing this tree.
If you don’t live somewhere with a tropical climate do not worry about it because when you grow it indoors your home will be pretty close to the tropical climate that is ideal for this variety of bonsai.
This bonsai can be grown in shady locations so you don’t have to position it somewhere that gets direct sunlight all day long (in fact that would be a bad idea).
As long as you get this bonsai 3 – 5 hours of bright light every day this tree will grow healthy in those conditions.
If you live somewhere that gets a reasonably warm summer you could even move this bonsai outdoors for the summer months then move it back indoors and use it as a houseplant during the winter months.
- Only needs 3 – 5 hours of bright indirect light to grow healthy
- Can be grown outdoors during the hotter summer months
- Makes a great low maintenance houseplant
- Your home will be ideal close to tropical conditions for this bonsai
Baby Jade Bonsai Tree Complete Starter Kit
This bonsai is also referred to as the elephant bush possibly because this bonsai will suck up water from the soil and store it in its trunk and leaves until it needs the water.
The fact that this bonsai has its unique way of storing water for later use makes this bonsai a very low maintenance tree because if you forget to water it then it wont die (at least not straight away) it will use the water reserves it has stored for emergency use.
The baby jade is originally native to South Africa so it does like hot weather and this is also a feature that makes it a perfectly good choice for an indoor bonsai tree.
The baby jade is named baby because its leaves are only about ⅓ the size of the common jade plant and this feature makes it easier to shape so that it looks like a miniature version of a full sized tree.
If you are looking for the best indoor bonsai starter kit this unique low maintenance bonsai is right up there.
- Stores water in its trunk and leaves for emergency use during a drought
- A great choice for a gift for someone who is a beginner to bonsai
- Will do well grown indoors in your home or office
- It’s a miniature version (⅓ the size) of the common jade plant
Juniper Bonsai Tree Complete Starter Kit
The juniper bonsai tree is an outdoor tree and it can not be grown as an indoor houseplant.
When the juniper grows in the wild it will naturally grow into an evergreen shrub or small tree.
The juniper bonsai should be positioned somewhere that gets plenty of bright light to keep it growing healthy and strong.
The juniper bonsai tree can handle very cold temperatures but if the temperature gets below 15 degrees Fahrenheit you should give it some protection by either putting it under a sheet or temporarily moving it into a garage until the coldest weather passes.
A juniper bonsai is a great project for beginners because the trunk and branches are so easy to shape into your bonsai vision, although, you may have to learn how to use bonsai wire to achieve more advanced styles because the branches are so bendy they tend to bend back into the natural growth shape.
- Juniper is an outdoor bonsai tree
- A great bonsai for beginners to practice on
- Can survive temperatures down to 15 degrees Fahrenheit
- Will need lots of light to grow healthy and strong
Complete Tool Set For Starting A Bonsai Hobby
If you are starting a bonsai hobby it is a great idea to get yourself all the correct tools for the job. When you use the correct tools it makes creating your bonsai vision a lot easier and will help you grow a strong and healthy bonsai tree.
Included in this tool set for starting bonsai are:
- Utility Shears – these shears are the best tool for trimming unwanted buds off your bonsai tree and the long reach allows you to get right into the foliage.
- Concave Branch Cutter – this specialist tool will enable you to cut off branches flush to the trunk which means new branches shouldn’t grow back. It’s razor sharp so take care with this tool.
- Bonsai Wire Cutters – wire cutters are an essential part of any bonsai enthusiasts tool kit. When you start to create advanced bonsai styles this tool will become essential.
- Shears – basic shears are included because you can’t have too many shears when you are creating the ultimate bonsai vision of your dreams.
- Spherical Knob Cutter – this tool is designed so that you can easily remove trunk knobs and roots without damaging your bonsai tree. Essential for the long term care of your bonsai tree.
- Single Point Root Rake – this is the most important tool you will use when you are repotting or transplanting your bonsai. It enables you to rake all the soil out the root ball so you can then plant it in fresh bonsai soil.
101 Essential Tips on Bonsai Book
This book has basically everything you could ever want to know for your bonsai hobby.
I would recommend you do read this book because it is better to know how to solve any problems you may come across when growing bonsai before it actually happens.
This bonsai book would make a great gift for someone who is a beginner to bonsai and is only beginning to start their journey in this wonderful and fulfilling hobby or equally it would make a great read for someone who is already at expert level and just wants to brush up on some bonsai growing techniques.
I hope you have found the Best Bonsai Starter Kits For Beginners that you were looking for and enjoy your new bonsai hobby. Please have a browse of some more of my useful articles.