Mowing is usually the only lawn chore performed by a large percentage of Americans, along with the occasional weeding. Then some occasionally add edging, gardening, and fertilizing to their lawn care routine.
Then there are those, either for residential or commercial purposes, who go a step further and use a spreader tool to get the job done.
A spreader, typically a farming implement, is used to spread things over a wide area. These items range from sand, ice melt, fertilizer, seeds, and more. The appearance of spreaders can range from small wheelbarrow types to the large seeder types that are moved around by a tractor.
The smallest lawn spreaders are handheld spreaders with a hopper and are operated by hand while the larger lawn spreaders are pushed and there is a spinning disk that is powered by moving the spreader around the lawn.
The spinning disk them spins the material in the hopper away from the spreader and onto the ground, thereby distributing ice melt, sand, fertilizer, etc.
People use this type of tool to spread material as it is faster and more efficient than doing it by hand. If a person were to do it on their own, it would take longer and the material would not be as evenly distributed.
The types of lawn spreaders I will be covering in this article are:
- Broadcast Spreaders
- Handheld manual Spreaders
- Drop Spreaders
- Tow Behind Spreaders
Some of the links on this page will be affiliate links that take you over to Amazon (paid link), as an Amazon Associate this site earns from qualifying purchases.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Broadcast Spreaders
- 1.1 Agri-Fab 45-0462 Pushable Broadcast Spreader
- 1.2 Scotts Elite Dual Spreader
- 1.3 Scotts Turf Builder Mini Broadcast Spreader
- 1.4 Agri-Fab 45-0532 Pro Push Spreader
- 1.5 Earthway 2150 50-Pound Walk-Behind Broadcast Spreader/ Seeder
- 1.6 Earthway F80 100-Pound Broadcast Push Spreader
- 1.7 Brinly P20-500BHDF Push Spreader 50-Pound Capacity
- 1.8 Oldzon Lawn Fertilizer/ Seeder Broadcast Spreader
- 1.9 Titan Fertilizer Broadcast Spreader 50 Lb.
- 2 Handheld Manual Spreaders
- 2.1 Scotts Wizz Hand-Held Spreader
- 2.2 Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Spreader/Seeder
- 2.3 HBC Rotary Hand Spreader for Lawn
- 2.4 Earthway 3400 Ergonomic Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
- 2.5 Scotts Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
- 2.6 Chapin 8706A Hand Crank Spreader For Seeds + Fertilizer
- 2.7 Earthway Products 199435 40lb. Hand Crank Broadcast Spreader
- 3 Drop Spreaders
- 4 Tow-Behind Spreaders
Broadcast spreaders are the type of spreader that has a spinning disk that flings material in every direction to cover a wider area when it comes to spreading seeds, fertilizer, or ice melt. The amount of material distributed is affected by the size of the spreader’s adjustable hole and how fast the operator is walking.
Agri-Fab 45-0462 Pushable Broadcast Spreader
One of the best spreaders for lawns is the Agri-Fab 45-0462. Sometimes you want to change the flow rate of what you are distributing on the ground. A steel rod flow control opens and closes the aperture to either prevent the distribution of material or to distribute material freely.
One of the benefits of the Agri-Fab 45-0462 is that this lawn helper is rustproof. Nothing worse than getting your tools wet and then later having to spend time removing the rust.
This spreader can haul up to 130 pounds of material and cover half an acre of lawn with seed, fertilizer, sand or other material. If the pneumatic tires get a little low, it is easy to inflate them.
- It can hold 130 pounds of material to cover up to half an acre.
- The steel rod flow control controls the flow of material applied to the area.
- Pneumatic tires are easy to inflate if low.
- There is an optional Pro kit and shield available.
The Scotts Dual spreader is a definite time-saver. Not only does this spreader have a 6-foot spread pattern, but the dual rotor increases the accuracy of the material applied, allowing you to make fewer passes.
While there is some minor assembly required, it is easy enough to put together that you will be putting it to use in almost no time at all.
Some other features include 10-inch foam-filled tires that will never, ever go flat. Not only do you not have to worry about a nail or something puncturing the tires, making it more difficult to maneuver, but you will never have to take the time to refill the tires.
The spreader holds up to 20,000 sq. ft of material, which is a little under half an acre. The ergonomic handle is built for comfort and control and also has a smartphone holder.
- Ergonomic holder with a smartphone holder. Now you can talk on the phone or watch a video while doing yardwork.
- The tires can handle any type of terrain and will never go flat.
- When spreading coarse rock salt, it is recommended to remove the agitator pins.
Scotts Turf Builder Mini Broadcast Spreader
The mini broadcast spreader is small and only holds up to 5,000 sq. feet of spreadable material, which covers a little less than 1/8th of an acre before the user has to refill the spreader. However, due to the size of the Scotts mini spreader, it is easy to use, great for smaller lawn areas, and easy to store as it would take up less space than other spreaders.
Not only is the Turf Builder calibrated for convenience, such as all you have to do is attach the wheels and you are instantly ready to use it, but there is no other assembly required and it comes pre-calibrated and ready to use.
The mini spreader helps you spread seed or ice melt evenly with uniform coverage, ensuring that you don’t miss a single spot. This is especially important when applying ice melt in winter.
- The spreader is delivered pre-calibrated and easy to use.
- There is no assembly required, all that is needed are to attach the wheels.
- You can control the precision rate setting for more accurate coverage of material.
- The small size of the spreader ensures that it is easy to maneuver, carry, and store.
Another entry for Agri-Fab, but this time it is for the Agri-Fab 45-0532 Pro. This lightweight spreader weighs only 22 pounds but has the capacity to hold 85 pounds of material to cover 14,000 sq. feet, which is about ¼ of an acre.
The push spreader has a durable plastic hopper and with its corrosion-resistant closure plate, you can use this spreader for a long time. The flow adjustment provides spread patterns up to 10 feet wide and the direct rod flow control allows for the precise application of the material.
The spreader’s 10-inch pneumatic tires can handle any type of surface and there is also an enclosed gearbox to protect the gears inside. There are two optional accessories, the hopper cover and the deflector.
The hopper cover is used to keep the material in the hopper dry while the deflector is used to narrow the spreading pattern of the material.
- The pneumatic tires can handle any surface and never need inflating. Agri-Fab loves its pneumatic tires and so do we. And so will you and your lawn.
- You can keep the material inside the hopper dry with the optional hopper cover. This is great for when it is snowing and you want to keep the ice melt dry until it is applied.
Despite the Earthway 2150’s rather amusing appearance, there is a reason we have it on the list as being one of the best spreaders for lawns.
The large, wide-set pneumatic tires will not go flat and both the frame and the tires provide an even weight distribution. Both those features make it easy to operate the spreader even on an incline or on uneven ground.
The spreader itself has an epoxy powder coated body and a steel T-bar handle, which is easily adjustable.
With the hopper having a 50-pound weight capacity, this spreader model is perfect for small jobs or for those who have limited storage space.
It has a debris screen to prevent clumps and the 3-hole shut off system provides an even spread pattern, making the material application more accurate. You can even change the drop rate of the material in the hopper to fit narrower lawn areas.
The fully enclosed gearbox makes it impossible to clog or rust the gears.
- The load-bearing capacity for the frame is 175 pounds while the hopper has a capacity of 50 pounds.
- The driving handle is adjustable to accommodate the height of the operator.
- The tires will never go flat and they feature rust-proof rims.
Whether you need something that can carry 30 pounds of material or 100 pounds of material, the Earthway F80 Broadcast Push Spreader is the tool for you.
The hopper is 3,350 cubic-inches and can hold up to 100 pounds of material, making it great for high-volume jobs for your own lawn or for working on the lawns of other people. Not only that, but the heavy-duty frame has a maximum load-bearing capacity of 175 pounds.
The rate control setting is located high on the handlebar for easy operation and the handle is adjustable with three positions and a cushion grip, making it ergonomic and comfortable. The direct connect linkage allows for accurate calibration for maximum efficiency, flow control, and little to no maintenance.
This is is one of the best spreaders for people who have large lawns.
- Great for high-volume jobs.
- Durable coated frame with an adjustable cushioned handle.
- The large pneumatic tires are great for any terrain and have rust-proof rims.
- There is an extended hitch that is designed for newer lawn tractor models for easier material application.
If you are looking for a spreader with a minimalist design that offers great value and has long-lasting lasting-durability, then look no further than the Brinly P20-500BHDF.
With its powder-coated frame, enclosed stainless steel gears, and easy calibration settings, you’ll be wondering why you haven’t heard about this lawn spreader before and wondering where it has been all your life. The best thing about the hopper is that it won’t dent, crack, or rust, thereby ensuring that it will last.
The spreader comes with a deflector kit which helps to accurately spread material and prevents the spreader from distributing material where you don’t want it.
Don’t want rock salt in your koi pond? Don’t want grass seed in your kids’ sandbox? Not a problem, the deflector will keep the material away from where you don’t want it. When you aren’t using the deflector, it is easy to flip it up to get it out of the way. The large pneumatic tires allow for easy maneuverability and control.
- The deflector for the spreader is a great feature.
- The stainless steel agitator, hardware, and shaft reduces maintenance and is rust-resistant.
It isn’t hard to see why the Oldzon broadcast spreader is one of the best spreaders for lawns. The spreader is durable, efficient, and maneuverable, letting you move quickly to get the job done fast. The 44-pound hopper capacity can cover roughly 7,500 square feet or a little over 1/8th of an acre.
With the rustproof construction and heavy-duty frame, this large-capacity spreader will last quite a while.
The wheels make the spreader easy to move quickly while the handles make it easy to maneuver the spreader, thereby saving you time so you can do other things on your to-do list or relax and enjoy your day.
This high-quality spreader is made from polypropylene (PP or poly), steel, and plastic.
The overall size of the spreader is 37”x19”x29.2” with the size of the hopper is 19”x16x11.4” The spreader even comes with a bag of tools and a set of instructions to help you put the spreader together. Be sure to keep the instructions in the event that you wish to take the spreader apart for whatever reason.
- Lightweight, durable, and easy to use.
- Rustproof construction.
- Holds enough material to cove a little over 1/8 of an acre.
This 50 lb broadcast spreader by Titan is a professional quality spreader that is ideal for spreading a number of substances over your lawn.
Whether you want to spread fertilizer, insecticide, grass seed, or even rock salt to melt the snow then this would be an awesome choice if you want something long-lasting and professional.
The simple yet effective large capacity drum will enable you to spread material without having to constantly refill it and the 50 lb capacity is large enough to hold a very reasonable amount of material.
Quality of build when it comes to the axle and tires of this spreader is what sets it apart from some other less professional models. if you want a high quality and durable spreader that you can use year after year then this is the spreader for you.
The large tires make this spreader very easy to maneuver over all sorts of terrain so you don’t have to use it on an already near-perfect lawn and it could easily be used on rough terrain such as a plowed field if that is what you desire.
- Large drum will hold up to 50 lb of material for spreading.
- Quality built axle and tires ensure durability.
- Can be used for spreading fertilizer, grass seed, insecticide, rock salt or any other substance.
- You can use it on rough surfaces thanks to the large wheels.
Handheld Manual Spreaders
As the name suggests, a handheld manual spreader is the type of spreader that you hold in your hand and spread material by turning a crank or pulling a lever. They are light to carry and are great for areas of the lawn that are hard to reach with other spreader types.
What is small enough for you to carry in your hand and is perfect for those who have limited space? The Scotts Wizz handheld spreader!
Powered by only four AA batteries, and 23 different settings, you can accurately spread ice melt, fertilizer, lawn seed, or other materials to your heart’s content. The battery-powered Wizz holds up to 2,500 square feet of material and comes with HandyLock and EdgeGuard technology.
The edge guard allows for a 5-foot range of application and protects non-lawn areas from the application of material such as ice melt.
The Handy-Lock allows you to lock the spreader when not in use. To start using the lawn spreader, turn the orange dial to the setting you desire and then start walking and pulling the trigger at the same time to apply the material. Fast, easy, and you will be done in no time.
- Has EdgeGuard technology to protect non-lawn areas and prevents material application.
- The HandyLock locks the device and prevents any accidental material application.
- The Spreader allows for 5-foot material broadcast and covers 2,500 square feet.
Earthway 2750 Hand-Operated Spreader/Seeder
Have you ever tried to spread seed, ice melt, or something else in the yard, but it was taking forever and your arm was getting tired of holding the container or bag of seed? With Earthway’s hand-operated seeder, you won’t have that problem ever again with the adjustable shoulder strap and long crank handle!
The Earthway 2750 is also great if you have limited storage space as the weather-resistant nylon collapses so you can put it in a drawer somewhere! The internal gears are also protected to ensure device longevity.
You can easily switch between 8-foot and 12-foot spread widths by simply changing the crank rate. Not only does this make spreading the material easy, but it allows you to apply more material in a shorter amount of time.
The maximum capacity for this spreader is 25 pounds and has a contoured based to fit the spreader around your hip. This spreader is one of our favorites when it comes to choosing from the best spreaders for lawns.
- Designed for the best operational comfort with an adjustable shoulder strap and a contoured base.
- Easily adjustable spread width.
- There is a flow-rate adjustment and an on/off control.
- No clumping and evenly spreads material.
Are you ready for a handheld spreader that is easy to use, easy to clean, and will last year after year?
Say hello to the HBC Rotary Hand Spreader, the only lawn spreader you will ever want to have. It has an ergonomic handle design and is made from high-quality, durable construction with an ergonomic handle design for comfort and easier material application.
The HBC rotary hand spreader is perfect for your lawn and garden and can cover 1,000 square feet, making it an excellent choice for those with medium to smaller lawns and gardens. When you finish using the spreader, it is incredibly easy to clean and easy to store.
Why have any other spreader when you can have this reliable, durable, ergonomic handheld spreader that will fit your lawn and garden needs every season of the year?
- Holds up to 1,000 square feet of material, making it perfect for spreading ice melt in winter, fertilizer during the growing season, or adding grass seed in the spring.
- Ergonomic handle makes using the spreader easier and is more comfortable to use.
Make way for Earthway!
Right upfront, the first thing you would notice about the Earthway 3400 is the eye-catching design and red color, but that is not the best or most exciting thing about this handheld spreader. It is made with rust-proof poly construction, making it not only durable but long-lasting and reliable.
The scoop is 110 cubic inches and has a 1.8-liter capacity, and an easy to use trigger with an on/off control switch.
It also has an infinite setting flow control on the handle and features a high-rpm gearbox with anti-skip gears.
For comfort and ease of use, it has an ergonomic handle and weighs only 11 ounces, making this the most reliable, comfortable spreader available. It is easy to see why this is regarded as one of the best spreaders for lawns.
- Ergonomic handle for a better, more comfortable grip while using the spreader.
- Has an easy-pull trigger and an on/off control switch for operation and easy material application.
- The rate of the flow can be controlled by the handle.
- Easy to clean and store.
Scotts Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader
The Scotts Hand-Held Broadcast Spreader is no exception to that.
This rustproof spreader comes fully assembled so you can start using it the moment you get it. This spreader is great for small lawns and holds enough material to cover 1,000 square feet. Great to use for applying ice melt on porches, driveways, patios, and walkways in the winter, and seed and fertilizer in the other seasons.
This compact handheld spreader has that classic Scotts product look and this rustproof spreader makes it so that you can easily fertilize or seed your small lawn quickly, efficiently, and accurately before washing, drying, and storing it. So incredibly fast and easy to use that you will be questioning if you did the yard that day or if it was your imagination.
- It comes fully assembled so you don’t have to waste time putting it together and can use it quickly.
- Easily applies the material to 1,000 square feet, making it perfect for those with small lawns and gardens.
For those familiar with this company, and have used their products for a long time, often consider Chapin the only way to spray their lawn with seeds, fertilizer, ice melt or other materials.
Not only is the Chapin 8706A ideal for those who have small areas where it wouldn’t be feasible to use larger spreaders, but the lightweight, durable spreader is incredibly easy to use, maintain, and store.
The durable hopper is made from polypropylene, which has high strength due to its semi-crystalline nature, is very resistant to moisture, and has resistance over a wide range of alkaline and acidic chemicals. This makes this spreader compatible with fertilizers, rock salts, ice melts, and other materials such as pesticides.
It has a crank that is easy to use and a trigger gate control to ensure accuracy. The gears of the spreader are enclosed and protected from debris so you don’t have to stop and spend time unclogging the gears.
- This spreader is strong, durable, lightweight, and easy to maintain.
- Great for small lawns There is a thumb gate adjustment, making it easy to control the flow rate.
Earthway Products 199435 40lb. Hand Crank Broadcast Spreader
Simple, durable, and operates in areas where some other spreaders can’t go, such as uneven terrain or wet areas because it isn’t on the ground, it is in your hands. The tubular steel chassis is coated with epoxy powder and has an integrated stand.
Not only does it hold up to 40 pounds of material but there are also carrying straps, thereby making it easier and more comfortable to operate the spreader.
The Earthway 199435 is rustproof and accurately spreads material up to 15 feet, making the job quick, easy, and efficient. There is an operator shut-off setting control on at the handle and it even comes with a heavy-duty rain cover so the material inside doesn’t accumulate moisture before use.
It is made from polypropylene, which means it is strong, durable, and will last a long time.
- Easily and evenly applies ice melt, fertilizer, seeds, and other materials.
- Hopper capacity is 1,180 cubic inches and holds up to 40 pounds of material.
- Carrying straps make the application of material far more comfortable.
Like broadcast spreaders, drop spreaders distribute the material on the lawn, such as weedkiller, fertilizer, etc. However, the material is dropped between the wheels for a more targeted application rather than distributing it over a wider area as broadcast spreaders do. This type of spreader offers more control with the material application.
Scotts Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader
When it comes to saving time, one of the best features you can find on any product is that it is already fully assembled and ready to go once you take it home or have it delivered. Scotts knows this and its classic drop spreader comes fully assembled, ready to use and pre-calibrated.
The only thing you have to do is load up the material you want to use and get to work.
The large-capacity hopper holds enough material to cover 10,000 square feet, or a quarter acre and its heavy-duty frame provide the best stability possible.
Scotts Classic Drop Spreader gets the job done fast, efficiently, and accurately with a 22-inch spread pattern. All you have to do is choose the setting you want and slightly overlap the swaths you made by lining up the arrow on the hopper with the wheel tracks from the previous row. Easy to do and you will be done in no time at all.
- Fully assembled, pre-calibrated, and ready to use.
- Optimized stability for easy control and maneuverability.
- Heavy-duty frame and large-capacity hopper for durability and getting the job done.
Einhell 3415238 GC-SR 12 Spreader
The high-quality, shatter-proof plastic housing and a corrosion and weather resistant roller just begs to be on the list of the best spreaders for lawns.
Oh look, it is.
The GC-SR 12 is a robust spreader with 8-inch wheels that can handle uneven terrain and are easily maneuverable while the double push bar makes spreader easy, comfortable, and safe to use.
The container spreads material up to 17 inches and holds 12 pounds of material from ice melt, seeds, pesticides, and fertilizers.
Want to know how easy it is to store the GC-SR 12? The double-sided snap closure makes it easy to close the spreader and store it where it won’t be in the way. Then all you have to do is open it back up the next time you have to use it and you are good to go.
- The double push bar makes maneuvering and using the spreader easy and comfortable.
- The application of material can be regulated by the control lever.
- Easy to store between usesMade from high-quality shatter-proof plastic.
- The wheels are corrosion and weather resistant.
Let’s go with Lesco!
The Lesco Drop Spreader has a hopper capacity of 120 pounds, making it an excellent spreader to use for large lawn and garden jobs. There are two interchangeable stainless steel hopper bottoms. One has an adjustable flow rate while the other one has a fixed flow rate.
The two hopper bottoms provide more flexibility when it comes to spreading material.
The large 13-inch tires are air-filled and are great for maneuverability, traction, and stability.
The spreader has a spreading width of 36 inches, making it the spreader to use for when you need to use it for an efficient and accurate job. If the material you wish to spread is pelletized, then the drop spreader bottom is the better choice and the rotary spreader bottom is good for everything else.
Just make sure the steel flap in place before you get started.
- It comes with two interchangeable stainless steel hopper bottoms for more flexibility.
- Some assembly is required before operation.
- Spreading width is 36 inches, which is great for applying the material to larger areas.
- Operational controls are within easy reach of the handles.
The Spyker P70-12010 is a commercial-grade drop spreader that can also be used for the home and it is easy to see why it makes the list of best spreaders for lawns. The powder-coated steel frame and 120-pound hopper capacity make for tough competition.
It has two hopper portions that are side by side, which make it great for applying material quickly with the 36-inch spread width.
It is also a spreader that can be used all year long and used for a variety of materials, such as sand, fertilizer, ice melt, seeds, and more. Just make sure to thoroughly clean it between uses as you don’t want to contaminate your seeds with ice melt residue or pesticides.
The spread width makes material application fast and efficient for lawns, driveways, sidewalks, and patios. There is assembly involved and it comes with a set of instructions, which can also be found on Spyker’s website.
- The powder-coated steel frame makes the spreader strong, durable, and reliable.
- 13-inch by 5-inch wheels make maneuvering easy and offers greater stability.
- Great for applying a wide variety of material and can be used on driveways, lawns, or other walkways.
Take a gander at the Gandy variable rate drop spreader.
This spreader has a steel hopper with a powder-coated finish to ensure a long life while the steel tri-bar provides internal agitation. To evenly distribute material over the intended surface, a spread plate is included.
This Gandy spreader spreads material over 36 inches at once, covering three feet at a time and ensuring you get the job done quickly and efficiently.
To stop the flow and eliminate dribble, there is a positive shutoff lever that closes the slide.
While assembly is required for this spreader as well, the bottom and slide can be removed for cleaning between material application types, whether the material would be seeds, fumigants, fertilizers, or ice melt. The stainless steel snap-on bottom and slide are adjustable and the triangular openings are spaced 1 1/8 inches apart.
- Easy to clean the hopper as the bottom and slide snap off.
- The 13-inch pneumatic wheels make the spreader maneuverable and easy to use.
- 3-foot spread width ensures that whatever job you do is finished accurately, efficiently, and quickly.
Tow behind spreaders are for people with larger properties. The tow-behind spreader is often pulled behind a mower or a tractor, sometimes even an ATV, and can spread the material over a wider range than a broadcast spreader would. Using these spreaders cuts down on the time spent on lawn care.
This tow behind broadcast spreader from Yard Commander will quickly become your favorite spreader ever.
This spreader can hook up to anything, from tractors, large lawn mowers with coupling capacity, and ATVs. Not only can it couple to anything, but you can attach it easily and quickly before getting started on the job right away.
There is no need for assembly as it comes complete and ready to use right out of the box and comes with a rain cover and a screen.
Once you use this, you will quickly understand why it has been chosen as one of the best spreaders for lawns, especially with the rust-resistant powder coat finish to guard against wear and tear and the ability to maneuver through any kind of terrain with its durable 12-inch pneumatic tires.
The spreader has a 125-pound material capacity and the spread width is 10 to 12 feet.
- It can be used year-round for spreading fertilizer, pesticides, ice-melt, seeds, and more.
- Hopper is easy to clean between uses.
- Versatile pneumatic tires are maneuverable and can handle any terrain.
- Ready out of the box and does not require assembly.
Agri-Fab 45-0463 Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader
The solid rod activated on/off flow rate control can be operated from the tractor seat, making this spreader fast, easy, and efficient to use in the application of the material.
Not only can the on/off control be operated from the tractor seat, but the durable rod has precise settings to control the flow of material. It wouldn’t be a very popular spreader if you had to get down from the tractor to open and close the hopper each time.
When you have larger acreage lawns, this spreader with a 130-pound hopper capacity is the one you want to get the job done fast.
Optional accessories include a hopper grate, hopper cover, and a material deflector.
The hopper grate prevents clumped material from blocking the flow opening, the cover prevents spillage from bumps or wind and keeps it dry, while the deflectors keep the material away from where you don’t want it applied. The hopper is rustproof and is made with a polyethylene powder coating to ensure greater durability.
- The high hopper capacity saves time by holding more material.
- The large tires are maneuverable, can handle tougher terrain, and provide greater stability.
- The spreader has a 3-year limited warranty.
- The on/off flow rate control can be operated from the tractor seat, making it easy to operate.