If you want to grow a fruit tree then a cherry tree is a great choice, there are that many different varieties of cherry tree and I am sure you will find one suitable for your local climate.
Growing a cherry tree can be a challenge to get it started but after it starts to grow it is actually quite simple to keep a healthy cherry producing tree.
Some of the links on this page will be affiliate links that take you over to Amazon (paid link), as an Amazon Associate this site earns from qualifying purchases.
I have sourced 9 varieties of cherry trees for sale online and put them in a list so you can easily choose what one you want to grow. For a full growing guide click here.
Table Of Contents
The Stella sweet cherry tree is one of the most popular cherry trees probably because the cherries it produces are absolutely tasty.
This is an organic cherry tree specimen so you can be sure that this is one of the most natural and healthy cherry trees you can find.
This tree will produce plentiful amounts of heart-shaped cherries which are ideal for eating fresh, canning, or freezing.
The cherries on this tree will start to ripen around June time and there is the bonus that this is a self-pollinating cherry tree so you only need one of them and it will produce plentiful amounts of these beautiful cherries.
- Well packaged Stella cherry tree so it will arrive in good condition even though it is posted via mail.
- If the roots are dried out when it arrives just give it some water and fertilizer and it will come back to life and flourish.
- You will look forward to the delicious cherries this tree will produce every year.
- After you plant this tree it should start to flourish and new growth should appear after a few weeks.
Barbados Cherry Plant
The Barbados cherry tree is native to the West Indies and it will produce beautiful red cherries that are some of the juiciest cherries any cherry tree will produce.
This is a small properly cherry tree which makes it ideal for turning into a fruiting bonsai tree although it will also thrive if you grow it in a garden and the maximum height it will get to is around 15 feet if you don’t prune it.
- The barbados cherry plant is a beautiful plant that may even produce cherries the first year after you plant it.
- This cherry plant is not good in frost so you will have to move it indoors for winter if you live somewhere that gets frost.
- When you receive this cherry tree you should give it a good water and fertilize it and it will quickly come back to life.
- Look forward to the delicious cherries that will be produced every year.
Montmorency Pie Semi-Dwarf Cherry Tree
This tree will be shipped bare root which means there is no soil attached to the roots when you receive it, this should enable it to start growing quicker when you plant it in your own soil.
The Montmorency cherry is a semi-dwarf tree and is a self-pollinating variety of cherry which means it only need one tree and it will pollinate itself.
This is a very cold hardy type of charity so it is good for people who are not experts and everyone should be able to successfully grow it.
- The birds will absolutely love these cherries as much as you will so it is advisable to use a net to protect your harvest.
- You may not get any cherries the first year after you plant this cherry tree but you can look forward to a bumper crop the second year and every year after.
- If you order a tree during the winter please remember that it will be dormant for the winter months so it should look like a twig.
- Cold hardy variety of cherry tree so you should be able to grow it in most areas.
Nanking Dwarf Cherry Tree
This cherry tree will only grow to between 6-10 feet tall as a fully grown tree and the cherries it produces will be absolutely tasty.
The Nanking dwarf cherry tree is one of the hardiest cherry trees available and you should be able to grow successfully in most environments.
If you want to produce cherries this tree is not self-pollinating so you will have to plant at least two so that they can pollinate each other.
- When you plant this tree in the ground it will soon sprout into life and become a healthy cherry tree.
- The tree should have strong roots that enable it to quickly start growing if the roots aren’t very strong you should simply use fertilizer to get it going.
- You probably won’t get any cherries the first year but you should get a harvest every year after that with a bit of luck.
- When you receive your mail-order tree you should plant or pot it as soon as possible.
Wild Black Cherry Tree
This is a pack of 2 cherry trees which is good because they are not self-pollinating so you need to have two trees if you do want cherries.
The trees you will receive will be between 3 and 6 feet tall and it will be pruned right down so that it can be mailed, however, bear in mind if you order these trees during the winter they will be dormant so there’ll be no leaves on them.
- If you plant this tree in the ground straight away when you receive it you should notice fresh growth within a couple of weeks.
- When you plant this tree in the ground i recommend you fertilize it to give it a boost whilst it gets settled.
- When your tree starts to produce cherries they are an excellent cherry for making cherry ice cream out of.
- When you plant this tree like any other tree you need patients and it will eventually start to grow and turn into a cherry producing tree.
Dwarf Bing Cherry Tree
When you receive this tree there is a possibility that will have dried out in the post so you should quickly give it a good water and it will spring back to life again.
The bing cherry tree will start to produce cherries earlier than most other varieties and the cherries it does produce are some of the tastiest cherries available from any tree, a single tree will produce many pounds of fruit although this is not a self-pollinating tree so you will need at least two trees for the purpose of pollination.
- Beware if you order this tree during the winter season when it arrives it will be dormant and look like a big stick with no leaves and this is normal.
- If you plant this tree the same day you receive it and give it a good water and fertilize it you will eventually have a healthy cherry tree that produced cherries.
- If you soak the roots of this tree in water for 2 hours before you plant it the chances of a healthy tree will be dramatically increased.
- You will need at least 2 of these cherry trees to pollinate each other as this is not a self-pollinating variety.
Rainier Cherry Tree
This cherry tree as a prolific producer of cherries so if you choose this tree you will have a plentiful supply of cherries to either eat fresh make pies, bake or can.
This is a sweet cherry tree and it also has a very fragrant cherry tree so you should be able to smell in your garden when it flowers start to bloom.
- Plant this cherry tree and give it a good water and you should notice fresh growth within a couple of weeks during the growing season.
- When you plant this cherry tree you may not get any cherries the first year but you should get cherries every year after.
- Japanese beetles do seem to feed on the rainier cherry tree so you should be aware of this if you have a Japanese beetle problem
Napoleon Royal Ann Sweet Cherry Tree
Napoleon Royal Ann Sweet Charity is unlike any other cherry tree because the cherries it produces are not completely red, they are a beautiful yellow and red color which makes this a very unique and beautiful cherry tree.
The tasty Sweet cherries this tree will produce start to become ripe in late June and you should be aware this tree is not self-pollinating so you will need another cherry tree not necessarily the same variety growing nearby so that they can pollinate each other.
This tree will be shipped bare root which should enable it to start growing quicker when you plant it in the soil.
- You will love this Napoleon Royal Ann cherry tree as the red and yellow cherries are completely unique and unlike any other cherry.
- This tree will arrive bare root so all you have to do is plant it in some soil and give it a feed of water and fertilizer and it will quickly become settled and start to grow into a healthy cherry tree.
- When you plant one of these cherry trees you will love the uniqueness of them you will probably want to grow more of them as they are totally beautiful trees.
Yoshino Cherry Tree
The first thing you should do when you receive this tree is to give it a good big drink of water as it is not uncommon for them to be dried out when they arrive.
The Yoshino cherry tree produces some of the most beautiful sakura flowers out of any cherry tree and it does produce cherries but they are not very tasty compared to other varieties of cherry so if it is edible berries you are looking for you should maybe choose another tree but if it is a beautiful flowering tree you’re looking for this will be a good choice.
- This tree should arrive in good condition and if it is dried out don’t worry just plant it and give it a good soaking of water to get it settled.
- Depending on the time of year you order your tree it may arrive with buds already growing on it.
- If your tree arrives with leaves on it you may have to wait until the next year for cherries as the leaves come after the flowers that turn into cherries.